OREGON NATURAL PLAY INITIATIVE GOALS
Support and promote natural play in Oregon.
Develop products that are accepted statewide and locally by building a tool kit for natural play in Oregon.
Establish a core group that will commit to 12 monthly meetings and development of a mutually beneficial product each year.
CURRENT FOCUS PROJECT 2012- 2013
It is the beginning of a new year. As always we are excited about choosing our project for the year. It took a while to talk through our focus with the group. The following topics were important to us; expanding our focus to include schools and childcare facilities, getting hands on, participating in installation, working on guidelines, to name a few.
This year we will be focusing on wood in nature play areas. It will include looking at 10 different projects throughout the year from design and construction, to maintenance and post occupancy review. Each member will showcase a project and topic they are interested in. All the findings will help shape a guideline for wood in nature play areas in Oregon. We will update our findings as we go, please check back with us.
ONPLAY MEETING NOTES
- March 26, 2015
- December 4, 2014
- September 25, 2014
- April 24 , 2014
- March 27, 2014
- January 30, 2014
- December 5, 2013
- November 7, 2013
- November 6, 2013 Workshop
- August 30, 2012
PAST FOCUS PROJECT
2011- 2012 Nature Play Case Studies
FUTURE PROJECTS: ON PLAY TOOL KIT
The tool kit holds other ideas and approaches that ONPlay Members think are important but are not currently selected for the focus product. These items may be future focus products. Partners will be encouraged to continue their work on any topic that relates to the concepts in the tool kit. Please let us know if you are working on any of these topics. We would enjoy to share and learn from you. See the Tool Kit tab above for more information on these ideas.
OUR CORE TEAM – 2015
The ONPlay group is committed to participating in the exchange of ideas and the ongoing pursuit of creating natural play areas for children in Oregon.
- Bruce Barbarash – Natural Resources Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District
- Jerry Burgess – Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District
- Sandra Burtzos – Portland Parks and Rec./ Montessori Trained Teacher
- Mark Davison – OPRD – IPS Manager
- Jaime English – Portland Parks and Rec.
- Christina Frank – MIG
- Ben Hedstrom – OPRD – IPS Planning & Design
- Steve Janiszewski – OPRD – Operations Support Manager
- Ben Johnson, GreenWorks
- Steve Kirn – Playground Manufacturer – Columbia Cascade
- Carrie Lovellette – OPRD – IPS Division Assistant
- Michelle Mathis – GreenWorks Landscape Arch. and Environmental Design
- Stephanie Redman – ORPA Executive Director
- Anita Van Asperdt – LandCurrent
- Rod Wojtanik – Senior Regional Planner, Metro Sustainability Center
- Kitty Davis – LandCurrent Designer
- Angie Hogan – Tenderheart Child Care and Preschool
- Julie Killpack – Occupational Therapist
- Elena Leyva
- Mike Marxen
- Lorri A. Nelson – Rowell Brokaw Architects
- Sarah Richardson – ORPA Outdoor Recreation Section Leader
- Leon Smith – Planet Earth Playscapes